Distance learning mostly termed as a modern non-formal education system. In Distance education mode students may not always be needed to physically present at a school. Traditionally this usually involved correspondence courses wherein the student mainly correspond with the school / university via post. But now it majorly involves online education. Distance Learning played an importance role in today’s education system. For distance learning different terms have been used such as:
- Distance Education
- Open Education
- Open Learning
- Online Education
- Distance Teaching
- Open School / University
- Correspondence Learning
- Correspondence Teaching
- Correspondence School
As distance learning is continuously gaining popularity. As a result the range of distance learning programs provided by so many institutions worldwide is overwhelming. The number of online courses and distance learning degrees is increasing steadily. Mentioning below some important criteria which you can consider for choosing a distance learning program.
- Accreditation of online programs
- Flexibility of learning
- Overall costs of distance learning degrees
- Student support services
- Study materials and the digital learning environment
Distance Education Need and Importance
The following are some points which highlight the need and importance of distance education
Rapid development of new Technology
Rapid scientific and technological developments causes explosion of knowledge industry. The rigidity and high cost formal system of education finds it difficult to incorporate new changes speedily as desired.
2. Increase in Population
Human population is growing on an unprecedented rate which has resulted in the corresponding increase in the number of students. The formal education system is finding it difficult to cope with increasing number of students.
3. Geographical Barriers and Social Isolation
People may be geographically or socially isolated because of distance, lack of communication system, disadvantaged due to financial, physical, emotional or family circumstances. Distance education provides opportunities to large number of people who had previously been denied such opportunities.
4. Universal Education and Democratic Aspirations
In order to achieve the cherished goal of universalization and democratization of education distance learning is definitely needed especially for those sections of society who are being neglected.
5. Boon for In-Service Aspirants
Distance education is especially needed for working professionals those who want to learn while earning. Open universities have been proven a boon for in- service aspirants. Working professionals can brighten up their chances of promotion by improve their educational qualifications.
Related Article: Top Distance Education MBA in India
Top Distance learning Universities in India
Mention below some of the top universities that offering distance education in India:
- Indira Gandhi National Open University, Delhi
- Yashwantrao Chavan Maharashtra Open University, Nashik
- Sikkim Manipal University, Gangtok
- IMT Distance and Open Learning Institute, Ghaziabad
- University of Mumbai, Mumbai
- Maulana Azad National Urdu University, Hyderabad
- Dr. B.R. Ambedkar Open University, Hyderabad
- Symbiosis Centre for Distance Learning, Pune
- Dr. Babasaheb Ambedkar Open University, Ahmedabad
- Annamalai University, Annamalainagar
- Netaji Subhas Open University, Kolkata
- Osmania University, Hyderabad
- Shivaji University, Kolhapur
- Madhya Pradesh Bhoj Open University, Bhopal
- Delhi University, Delhi
- Maharishi Dayanand University, Rohtak
- Acharya Nagarjuna University, Guntur
- Shreemati Nathibai Daodar Thackersey (SNDT) Women’s University, Mumbai
- Alagappa University, Karaikudi
- Andhra University, Visakhapatnam
- University of Madras, Chennai
- Himachal Pradesh University, Shimla
- U.P. Rajarshi Tandon Open University, Allahabad
- Tamil Nadu Open University, Chennai
- Karnataka State Open University, Mysore
- Madurai Kamaraj University, Madurai
- Vardhman Mahaveer Open University, Kota
- Kurukshetra University, Kurukshetra
- University of Calicut, Kozhikode
- Kakatiya University, Warangal
If you are interesting in knowing more about these universities. Please read our article: Top Distance MBA Institutes in India.
Need Guidance for Distance MBA Admission? Please fill in your details below and our counselor will get in touch with you. Please note: Its a free service.